Run to Explore the Fitness Market
The Brazilian Loves a Fitness Fashion
A study carried out by the Food Technology Institute (ITAL), the Agriculture and Food Supply Secretariat, and the Federation of Industries from the State of São Paulo (FIESP) shows that the demand for more nutritious foods increased by 32% in 2010 last year. One highlight of Brazilian Health Devices is the quantities of health products imported. While exports grew 33% from 2008 to 2012, imports grew 65% in the same period and in 2012 they represented six times the value exported.
The change in the routine of the people made that the fitness fashion won the streets. The user wants a versatile and stylish piece that can be used on several occasions, not just during physical activities. During the 2014 FIFA World Cup, for example, green and yellow pieces, prints with Brazilian touch and regional iconography were seen in the windows of the host cities of the mega-event.
With the increasing search for health and beauty, the number of gyms and people who adhere to this lifestyle has increased. The projection is that Brazil will assume the world leadership in business oriented to sports and physical activities. In the United States, the growth rate of enterprises in the fitness segment was 0.7%, from 2009 to 2012, while in Brazil the growth rate was 29% in the same period. This performance further reinforces the idea that Brazil will become a leader in the segment.
- The segment has more than 7 thousand stores specializing in sporting goods;
- More than 14 thousand stores sell some type of sports article;
- The annual sales of sports retail in the Country is R$ 4.7 billion;
- Opportunities for fitness fashion.
Some habits and preferences of Brazilians generate opportunities for the Apparel and Fashion Retail sectors to invest in fitness fashion, such as:
- The number of academies in Brazil grows. Currently, 68% of the academies are concentrated in six states: São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro, Rio Grande do Sul, Paraná and Bahia. São Paulo leads the ranking of states / academy in the country, with more than 6 thousand enterprises;
- With 1.5 million seniors in gyms in 2012, senior citizens are an interesting market share for fitness fashion. In addition, this age group is responsible for 30% of the total enrolled in the academies, moving around R$ 600 million per year;
- Beyond the simple use for practicing physical activities, fitness clothes dictate a new concept of style, now aimed at people who have a lifestyle fitness, with the proposal to wear clothes that would be just for day to day workouts.