Brazil General Profile
Official Name: Federative Republic of Brazil
Capital: Brasilia (Current local time)
Government Type: Federal Republic
Chief of State: Dilma Vana Rousseff, President
Population: 202.6 million (6th largest globally)
Area: 3,290,000 square miles; slightly smaller than the U.S.
Languages: Portuguese (official)
Literacy: Total Population: [90.4%]; Male: [90.1%]; Female: [90.7%]
GDP / GDP Per Capita: $2.7 trillion (7th largest globally) / $12,100 (2013 est.)
Year of Independence: 1822
Government Web site: www.brasil.gov.br
Brazil General Resources
- C.I.A. World Factbook country profile - Brazil profile
- U.S. State Department - Brazil history and overview
- BBC country profile - Brazil profile
- The Economist magazine - Brazil forecast and economic data
- National Geographic Brazil travel guide
- Brazilian news and online media (New York Times)
Brazil Specifics Resources
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) - reports and statistics on Brazil
- World Bank country brief - Brazil Brief
- Resources and trends (U.S. Department of Energy) - Brazil Energy Profile
- Constitution of the Federative Republic of Brazil
- Brazilian Missions Abroad and Foreign Missions in Brazil
- Country profile (World Health Organization) - Brazil Health Profile
- Children's health (Unicef)
- Development indicators - health data and statistics (World Bank)
- Natural disasters and relief efforts (ReliefWeb)
- U.S. Department of State - Brazil Country Report on Human Rights Practices
- Amnesty International - The state of Brazil's human rights.
- Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection (University of Texas) - Maps of Brazil
- Google Earth Interactive Maps
- International data (Census Bureau)
- Demographic profiles (Population Reference Bureau) - Search Population and Health Data
- NYTimes.com/Travel to BRAZIL - Travel articles from NYTimes
- Travel information (U.S. State Department) - Brazil Country Specific Information
- Travel advice (U.K. government) - Foreign travel advice Brazil
- Customs practices for travelers to Brazil - Brazilian Ministry of Finance
International Perspectives on Brazil Trade:
- Business conditions (World Bank/IFC) - The Doing Business Project containing objective measures of business regulations and their enforcement.
- Customs Clearance: Trading Across Borders in Brazil (World Bank/IFC Doing Business Project) - These tables list the procedures necessary to import and exports a standardized cargo of goods in Brazil.
- Trade requirements (U.S. Alcohol, Tobacco, Tax and Trade Bureau) - Information includes labeling requirements, required documents for imports, licensing/import procedures, import process for samples, and taxes/tariffs, as well as relevant Brazilin contacts.
- International Trade Centre (UNCTAD/WTO) - An overview of ITC's technical cooperation activities at the country and regional levels; includes links to national trade support institutions and country-specific business information.
Brazilian Government Trade and Investment-Related Resources (English):
- Official Website of US Commercial Service in Brazil - The official website of the US Commercial Service in Brazil. Their mission is to promote the export of goods and services of American companies and develop and protect US business interests in Brazil.
- Brazilian Government Trade and Investment Guide - English-language information about investing in Brazil provided by Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Relations.
- APEX Brasil -- Investing in Brazil - A comprehensive account of the current economic situation in Brazil by the Brazilian governments Trade and Promotion Agency (APEX). It contains information on foreign trade, legislation, and inflows of foreign investment into Brazil, and on Brazil's 27 states.
International Trade Development Organizations
- WTO - World Trade Organization
- UNIDO - UN Industrial Dev. Org.
- InTraCen - Int'l Trade Center
- World Customs Organization
- UN Commission on Int'l Trade Law
- International Chamber of Commerce
- World Chambers of Comm. Network
- World Bank
- International Monetary Fund
- World Trade Centers Association
- OECD - Org. for Eco. Coop. & Dev.
Relevant Brazilian Government Websites
- National Treasury – The Brazilian National Treasury presents information on Brazil’s fiscal policy and national debt.
- Federal Revenue and Customs Secretariat – The Brazilian tax collector provides information about the tax structure in Brazil, tax studies and other relevant information.
- Central Bank of Brazil -- Banco Central do Brasil - The Brazilian Central Bank is a source of key financial data, reports, bulletins and studies on many aspects of the Brazilian economy.
- National Bank for Economic and Social Development - The Brazilian Development Bank (BNDES), which is the primary federal agency for long-term financing, offers on its website an Overview of the Brazilian Economy, as well as statistics on macroeconomic and social indicators.
- Institute of Applied Economic Research (IPEADATA) - IPEA provides a database called Ipeadata with more than 2,500 Brazilian macroeconomic data series.
- Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics - The Institute (IBGE) is the main provider of statistical data on Brazil.
- Securities and Exchange Commission of Brazil - Comissão de Valores Mobiliários (CVM)
- BOVESPA (São Paulo's Stock Exchange) & Brazilian Mercantile and Futures Exchange - BOVESPA (Bolsa de Valores de São Paulo) e Bolsa de Mercadorias & Futuros (BMF)
Legal Guide for Foreign Investor in Brazil
- Legal Guide for Foreign Investor in Brazil (from Ministry of External Relations Trade Promotion Department).
- Current Local Time - Current local time in Brasilia D.F. Brazil
- Brazil Domestic Calling Codes (DDD) - Area codes for all cities in Brazil
- Brazil Postal Codes (CEP) - Brazil domestic postal codes provided by Brazilian Postal Service
- Online Currency Converter
- Online Language Translator
- Online Metric Converter - Temperature, Length, Area, Volume, Weight -- Use webmaster tools to add to website -- Metric Conversions Webmaster Tools
- Weather (World Meteorological Organization) - Brazil Weather city-by-city
- Interactive Maps of Brazil - Google Maps - Map of Brazil